Wednesday, October 17, 2007

For love or money?- is a stupid question

Negen busguin blognoos avlaa.

"When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is." - Oscar Wilde

For some reason, most women are religiously dedicated to denying that they will ever marry for money; they will only marry for love. For those who claim this stance, I don't know whether to laugh at your stupidity or admire your ideals. For the few who admit they will marry for money, I am disappointed at your priorities but respect your honesty.

I am not jaded enough to believe money is the most important thing in life, but I have to admit it is up there. Money makes a considerable difference in relationships. It cannot buy love, but it buys the opportunity for it to happen. It buys you that drink at the bar so the guy has an excuse to talk to you. It buys your date the chance to take you out to dinner. It buys the opportunity for two people to have fun, interact, and to know each other under different situations. Because there are only so many walks in the park you can take before they get tiring. Love alone does not pay the rent or put food on the table. If money is an issue in a relationship, it definitely creates greater potentials for arguments.

Whoever first asked "Would you marry a rich man you don't love, or a poor man you do love" is missing the point. The question shapes us to think that love and wealth are mutually exclusive concepts; they are not. My argument is that we cannot marry purely for love or money alone; we need both to some degree - and more. There are many other factors that contribute to a successful relationship: communication, mutual understanding, family, sex, etc.

From personal experience, money has not yet become an issue in any of my relationships. However, I understand myself well enough to know that I will re-evaluate one if financial difficulties get in the way of the lifestyle I'm comfortable with. From that point on, it all depends on how much I care for him.

Most of us are not Cinderellas in a fairytale romance. Love can overcome many challenges in life; money just makes life a bit easier.

www.xanga.com/MuseErato

No comments: